Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search

3/22/2018 » 3/23/2018
Port St. Lucie - 2 Day Code Training Seminar - Treasure Coast Chapter

West Palm Beach: Florida Swimming Pool Design, Construction, and Compliance - Grant Funded

4/3/2018 » 4/6/2018
Code Official Institute

Tavares: Florida Swimming Pool Design, Construction, and Compliance - Grant Funded

AWC Webinar: Outcomes of ICC Tall Wood AdHoc Committee: Proposals & Discussion

Cross Training FAQs
Share |

Q. Do I need to fill in every line of the application?

A. The application MUST be complete. If a section does not pertain to you, notate it with “N/A” or “not applicable”, or another identifier to indicate it was not inadvertently overlooked.

Q. I did not have trade specific training on each and every item on the training checklist. Does this mean my application will be rejected?

A. No. We have tried to place important items related to each trade on this sheet. While your experience should be diverse and varied, having experience on every item noted on the sheet may not be required. As a general rule, a minimum of 75% of each section should be covered in your training, as a general rule. Covering all the areas of experience noted is better and some sections will require a greater time commitment to be 100% trained. If you did not receive training in a specific area, that does not automatically disqualify you. You can only state training in the areas which you actually receive it, as evidenced by your trainers affidavit.

Q. How long does the review process take?

A. The review process typically takes about 6 weeks from the time we receive it. At the conclusion of the review, you will receive a certificate or letter with the results in the mail.

Q. Should I take the training class before or after my field training?

A. There is no hard and fast rule for this. It is suggested you start your field training, then take the class. This will allow you to experience some of the specific items related to the trade you are training in and develop some questions that will be answered in your classroom training, allowing you to be more knowledgeable as you finish your field training.

Q. Is there more than 1 piece to the application?

A. Yes. Every application has 2 parts – Part I, Name, employer, trainer(s) and Part II, the trade specific portion. 

Q. Do I need to use the most current edition of the application?

A. Yes, check the BOAF website at to ensure you have the most current editions of all of the forms.

Q. Can I use my Inspector training for Plans Examiner?

A. No. Inspections and plans examining are different. Classroom training may crossover, however, On the Job (OJT) or field training does not.

Q. How and when do I take the required exam?

A. There are a couple ways to take the exam. The first and quickest way to achieve licensure is to schedule the exam through the International Code Council at and include your passing score sheet with your application. This will reduce your time to attain licensure by several weeks, or months. The next way is to complete your training and then submit an application to the BCAIB. Upon review and approval of your application, the Board will forward your information to ICC, who will in turn forward the information to the testing agency and send you a letter stating that you may then schedule the exam. Upon successful completion of the exam, you must then forward your successful completion letter to the Board. After further review, and matching up the paperwork, your endorsement will be issued.

Q. Is there a difference in cost based on the time I take the exam?

A. Yes. When you schedule the exam directly with ICC, you pay the entire cost. If you wait for the Board to approve you for the exam, you only pay a subsidized cost. You might consider the money saved by taking the subsidized exam versus the time delay in obtaining the endorsement.

Q. Does my application need to be typewritten?

A. No, just remember, if you can’t read it, neither can we. This may cause delays or even return of your application. The important thing to keep in mind is that this training replaces the required 5 years of experience. Please be neat, complete and ensure the trade specific information requested is detailed on the forms.

Q. Will my certificate be mailed to my house or my office?

A. Unless identified differently on the application, we will mail the certificate to your residence. In many cases, mail is delayed at offices or even returned to us if your name, mail stop or other information is not recognized. In order to expedite delivery, we try to use the residence address provided on the application.

Q. The jurisdiction I work in performs “frame-all” and “final-all” inspections using a single 1 & 2 family dwelling inspector. While doing 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspector Training, can I count that time for all 4 categories of cross training?

A. No. 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspections are for the 1 & 2 Family Dwelling experience and must be done with a standard licensed 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspector. The are not trade specific.

Q. How do I know how many hours to spend in each trade for 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspector cross training?

A. That is an interesting question. While an “exact” number is difficult to state, the applicant should spend the most time in their weakest areas. As a general guideline, if the following hours per trade are used, you would have spent adequate time in each trade discipline. The trainer should determine the trade hours based on your experience level. Building – 135 hrs. Electrical – 135 hrs. Mechanical – 90 hrs. Plumbing – 90 hrs. Remember, in any case, the total training hours cannot be less than 450 hours!

Q. I already hold a standard license, are you saying I still need to train in that category when working toward a 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspector?

A. Yes. Training to be a 1 & 2 family Dwelling Inspector requires you to refresh your standard trade. This is due to differences between commercial and residential work, a tendency to get used to doing things we have always done and also to ensure you are up to date on new technologies, methods and code requirements.

Q. I noticed when filling out the trade specific OJT Checklist, there are items on the list that are not present in the jurisdiction where I work. Am I still expected to get trained on them?

A. Not necessarily. Your Trainer can only fill in the area for the items on which you have been trained. Keep in mind, this program uses your past experiences and applies this additional training to replace the normally required 5 years of hands on experience that satisfies one of the experience criteria. Most people will not have the opportunity to experience every facet of every trade under every condition. As a rule of thumb, your experience should expose you to at least 75% of the items contained on the OJT Checklist. Be honest and forthright regarding your training. The Committee evaluates every application on its own merits and reviews your documentation as a stand alone application. Revised 02/02/2015 4 of 4 The Building Officials Association of Florida Foundation/Cross Training Program Part I-C

Q. Can I train in a larger, more diversified jurisdiction?

A. Yes. Remember, training is what is important. If the community you work in has limited construction projects and/or limited personnel, you may be better served, and better able to serve your community, by getting training in a larger jurisdiction. Many municipalities have inter-local agreements with the County or other municipalities nearby that would allow for you to receive better or more diverse training opportunities. If you choose this option, always remember the standard licensed Building Official under which the trainers work is required to sign the training affidavit of trainers.

Q. I am training for the 1&2 Family Dwelling Inspector, my trainer has all 4 standard certificates, can he/she sign off on my training for 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspector?

A. No. The trainer for a 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspector cross training certificate is required to have a standard 1 & 2 Family Dwelling certificate. This is a requirement of the program.

Q. What do I send to the BCAIB at the State?

A. A copy of the letter and the certificate you receive for the completion of the program, along with your completed BCAIB application and associated fees.

Q. Is the Cross Training program for both residential and commercial inspectors?

A. When you have completed your Cross Training you will have been exposed to both commercial and residential code applications. While a standard license will allow you to inspect/review both types of applications it does not qualify you for a 1&2 Family license in the State of Florida. Additional training is required.

Sign In
Login with LinkedIn
Sign In securely